Let's start at the very beginning ~ a very good place to start...
From www.etymonline.com:
Eclectic: 1683, from Fr. eclectique, from Gk. eklektikos "selective," lit. "picking out," from eklektos "selected," from eklegein "pick out, select," from ek "out" + legein "gather, choose"... Originally a group of ancient philosophers who selected doctrines from every system.
Educate: 1447, from L. educatus, pp. of educare "bring up, rear, educate," which is related to educere "bring out," from ex- "out" + ducere "to lead."
As it turns out, these two words are very similar, and yet, the way Humanity has developed, the term eclectic education is far from redundant.
Education has become, in mainstream circles, synonymous with schooling and teaching.
The word "school" conjures up images of fish following one another in great, uniform packs, with one mind in control (although the word actually comes from different roots in each case). From another perspective, "school" recalls a building or enclosed and defined space where learning takes place.
The word "teacher" comes to the English language as follows (from www.etymonline.com):
Teacher: O.E. tæcan (past tense and pp. tæhte) "to show, point out," also "to give instruction," from P.Gmc. *taikijanan (cf. O.H.G. zihan, Ger. zeihen "to accuse," Goth. ga-teihan "to announce"), from PIE *deik- "to show, point out" (see diction). Related to O.E. tacen, tacn "sign, mark" (see token). O.E. tæcan had more usually a sense of "show, declare, warn, persuade" (cf. Ger. zeigen "to show," from the same root); while the O.E. word for "to teach, instruct, guide" was more commonly læran, source of modern learn and lore. Teacher "one who teaches" emerged c.1300; it was used earlier in a sense of "index finger" (c.1290)
Over the past five years, I have discovered that I am neither called to "teach" in this unidirectional fashion, nor do I wish to confine or uniformly train the learners I lead. Instead, as an "educator," I wish to draw out of folks our innate ability to learn for ourselves.
And, as my energies are, at this point, best in service to children, I truly become a pedagogue, or "child-leader."
As far as eclecticism goes, the process through which I lead children to draw out the Inner Teacher is very piecemeal and intuitive. Through various scopes and scapes, such as the notions of Holistic Education, Subject Division, and Multiple Intelligences, I script and sculpt the way I educate based on the needs and responses of the children in my care.
My approach is evergreen and fluid. I take from positive points in my own childhood, from personal experience as a pedagogue, and from intuitively "common-sense," rather left-wing frameworks and areas of research. After all, you can only be and do best what you know and do best. I consider myself lucky that what I am, know, and do is generally balanced, constructive, and supported by a constantly expanding network of healthy, happy, helpful, like-minded family, friends, and community.
However, that which I am, know, and do is NOT mainstream. Although this is an exciting prospect, it can also be a frustrating one, as the World's economy, lifestyle, and standard socio-emotional schema are protected by the convenience and comfort of the status quo. Resources, connections, and assistance are harder to come by when you do not settle for following the same prescription that everybody else does, and validation is probably the most difficult to receive from the dominantly respected voices of microscience and economic accountability.
As our populations rise, nations increase their sense of competition with each other, and resources become more scarce. The creation of loyal employees and avid consumers trumps the development of healthy bodies, open minds, joyful hearts, and radiant spirits. The short-term panic over the survival of the economy overshadows the long-term view of maintaining a stable, contented, and healthful planetary community.
I consider it a personal and vocational challenge to sit out on the limbs of freedom, nature, spirituality, and revolution, among others. And I don't worry too much ~ my Tree is solid. It is rooted in eons of wisdom and faith, and it branches out in fractals of Eternity that are just waiting to be explored.
2007-12-04
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment